We seek to promote the development of the imagination and the creative use of different media and materials. There are opportunities for children to tackle drawing, painting, collage, printing, modelling in clay, card and other materials, needlecraft and many others. Where possible activities in this subject are linked to topic work.
Through National Curriculum Art it is planned children will:
• become familiar with the properties of objects, materials, sites and scenes in and around the school and village,
• become skilled in exploring and creating through manipulation of varied materials,
• be able to use various skills and techniques, and gain in perception, imagination, awareness and sensitivity,
• be able to use their visual skills to communicate with others.
Design & Technology
This subject enables pupils to use their knowledge and skills of other subjects, especially Mathematics, Science and Art, to:
• identify needs and generate ideas
• explore possible solutions by designing
• plan and make
• evaluate what they have made
• communicate their results to others
We wish to promote Music as an enjoyable, emotional experience gained through listening and through creating music, either the children's own or music already written.
The development of listening skills is of supreme importance in helping young children to read, and music can help a child make fine aural distinctions between different sounds. Children are given the opportunity to hear a wide range of music both in recorded form and through live performances. Music is used as a stimulus for physical activity, art and language work.
We encourage children to play instruments. There are many opportunities for children to play percussion instruments as part of classroom activities. Children in Years 4, 5 and 6 are also able to learn to play the recorder and guitar, if they wish. All children have plenty of chances to sing.
Opportunities are provided for children to compose their own music, an experience which will increase their understanding of the creative process and a chance to express their ideas and feelings in a medium other than words or pictures.